When I suspect there will be a snow day, I pack up all of the grading I have to do and bring it home with me. If I'm home alone, I have a better chance of getting it done. Today was not one of those days.
Don't get me wrong; I do not blame Eric for this. I would just rather spend time with him than with the papers if I get an unexpected day off.
So, what did I get accomplished today?
- I explored non-fiction works for my AP students to read over the next two weeks. I have been working with one of the fabulous librarians at school, and I tweaked the list we'd come up with months ago. I still need to finalize the list and type up the corresponding assignment, but I think that will happen tomorrow during a timed writing I give to my students.
- I helped shovel the driveway. We'd put it off, thinking that the snow would keep coming. When the snow changed to rain, we got out there before the driveway changed to ice.
- I helped portion out pasta for lunches.
- I remembered to write this Slice of Life post.
That's about it for "productive" work. However, I also
- finished Game of Thrones season 2 with Eric;
- watched this week's The Following and The Walking Dead on the DVR;
- slept in to get rid of a headache that woke me up in the middle of the night last night;
- had lots of cat lap time; and
- watched the local news's silly weather coverage.
And so, I will likely drag the grading back to school with me and work tomorrow...unless the school system cancels. I know it's a Faustian bargain that I will regret when I have no work day in April, but I'd take it, hoping I'd be productive the second time around.