Sunday, March 31, 2013

Infographics assignment

So, for my last slice, I'm going to do a little experiment in collaboration.

I mentioned in an earlier slice that I was working with my librarian colleagues to create as infographics assignment. Well, I'm going to share that document and invite comments, suggestions, and critique.

  • I've uploaded it to Google Documents, and I've share it so anyone can comment or edit it. Let me know what you think by inserting comments, making suggestions, or asking questions. Don't get tripped up by the formatting; the conversion process destroyed it.
  • Since the upload from Word to Drive destroys the formatting, I've also uploaded a PDF version so people can see it as students will.
  • If I incorporate your suggestions, I'll certainly credit you on the handout and thank you profusely.
I don't know what will happen or if anyone will even look. My blog is an experiment...

7 comments:

  1. WOW - I have been using Google docs with my grad students for a while now - and while I would LIKE to do more of it with my elementary students, I have not - yet. It is SO powerful to write and share and have the commenting feature in real time...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. I need to use it more often with my own students. I have used it with colleagues more than once, and I love it for collaborating.

      Delete
  2. Wow is right, Chris. I LOVE it. I had to move from my iPad to the laptop just so I could go back into the Google Doc and leave comments. What a great task for students to tackle. It would totally fit an issues unit I want to do next month. Want to pair up somehow to share what students create?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have time this weekend, I'd love to chat about that!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous work. I've been thinking about how to teach students to make infographics for some time now and tried last spring to figure them out. I think they're becoming easier for those of us w/out a graphics background. You have taken so much of the work out of the assignment for me (and others). Now I need, to make one myself. BTW, do you get the Visually updates? The other day I say a fabulous interactive infographic about drones. If was really something.

    Next year I'll allow students in my Communication dual enrollment class to use visual aides in their persuasive speeches, and infographics will be perfect.

    Really, Chris, thank you so much for your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, I don't get the updates, but I will now.

      I'm glad you find the assignment useful. I can already see ways to tweak it and to let it help me organize next year's classes. I'm hoping it turns out well this time, but I'm sure I will learn from it.

      Delete
  4. This is such a well thought out assignment, I know you will gather some wonderful projects from it. I didn't make comments, but I kept wondering throughout how to adapt this to an earlier, more elementary level. And.. I hope you feel that your blog "experiment" is going well. I have learned so much from you throughout the March challenge - and more to come beyond!

    ReplyDelete